Forno de Minas is acquired by the McCain Group, of Canada, and the founders of the cheese bread brand leave the company – Rádio Itatiaia

Known for its traditional cheese breads, Forno de Minas from Minas Gerais was sold to Canadian group McCain, known for its frozen potatoes. With the operation, the founders of Forno de Minas will leave the company founded by the family in Belo Horizonte in 1990.

In 2018, the Canadian company bought 49% of the shares of the Minas Gerais manufacturer. Now it has revealed its intention to acquire the remaining 51%. The operation was communicated to the Administrative Council for Economic Defense (Cade) and is being analyzed by the General Superintendency of the corps.

With the purchase, McCain also takes full control of Sérya, a manufacturer of frozen potatoes in Forno de Minas.

Forno de Minas has already been sold

In 1999, the founders of Forno de Minas sold the family business to the American multinational Pillsbury. Ten years later, General Mills, which had acquired Pillsbury, closed the doors of the Forno de Minas factory and laid off all the employees.

The Mendonça family saw in the situation an opportunity to recover the family business. In 2009, they bought Forno de Minas, reactivated the factory and recovered the company’s finances. The real cheese bread from Minas Gerais is produced again at the time and the company expands the range of products, becoming one of the most traditional in the sector.

(Under the supervision of Lara Alves)

Join the Itatiaia community on Whatsapp and receive the main news of the day directly on your mobile phone. Click here and register.

Megan Schneider

"Typical zombieaholic. General twitter fanatic. Food fanatic. Gamer. Unapologetic analyst."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *