The Orlando Magic surprised everyone and picked Paolo Banchero first overall in the 2022 NBA Draft, held at Barclays Center on Thursday. Chet Holmgren was picked 2, going to the Oklahoma City Thunder and Jabari Smith was picked 3, who ended up with the Houston Rockets.
Banchero, who averaged 17.2 points, 7.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 39 games in a year with Duke University, will look to lead the Magic to a better season than last, where they won 22 wins and 60 losses. The Magic had to choose Jabari Smith.
“I plan to take everything I have to Orlando”Banchero, dressed in a stunning purple suit, told reporters.
“First, just a winning mindset, a work-oriented mindset. Ready to go in with the guys and get to work. This is one of the best times of my life. I am super excited.
+ NBA Free Agency 2022-2023: Live Updates, Trades, News and Renewals
While draft night clashes are rare, Orlando’s selection surprised many, including Banchero himself.
“I don’t even know what to say. I can’t believe what happened, honestly”said the 19-year-old forward, who helped lead the Blue Devils to the NCAA Final Four this year.
“I wanted to be in the NBA, but I didn’t know I would be here.”
Chet Holmgren, who is 2.13 meters tall, said he would use his height to help the Thunder, who had 24 wins and 58 losses last season.
“I can use my length and speed to cover a lot of ground and take up space”he told reporters.
Rounding out the top five, the Sacramento Kings took on Iowa forward Keegan Murray and Purdue’s Detroit Pistons Jaden Ivey.
The draft, which began a week after the Golden State Warriors won their fourth NBA title in eight years, featured a strong crop of international talent.
Canadians Bennedict Mathurin and Shaedon Sharpe were selected sixth and seventh by the Indiana Pacers and Portland Trail Blazers. Australian Dyson Daniels finished eighth with the New Orleans Pelicans, Polish-American Jeremy Sochan finished ninth with the San Antonio Spurs and OKC Thunder selected Frenchman Ousmane Dieng in 11th.
It should be remembered that the Brazilian Gui Santos was chosen by the Golden State Warriors, read more here.
NBA Draft 2022 – Picks
Stay tuned for the position of the players:
G – Guard (Shipowner)
F – Forward (Winger)
C – Center (Pivot)
1. Magic: Paolo Banchero, F, Duke
2. Thunder: Chet Holmgren, F, Gonzaga
3. Rockets: Jabari Smith, F, Auburn
4. Kings: Keegan Murray, F, Iowa
5. Pistons: Jaden Ivey, G, Purdue
6. Stimulators: Bennedict Mathurin, G/F, Arizona
7. Trail Blazers: Shaedon Sharpe, G, Kentucky
8. Pelicans (via Lakers): Dyson Daniels, G, G League Ignite
9. Spurs: Jeremy Sochan, F, Baylor
10. Wizards: Johnny Davis, G, Wisconsin
11. Thunder (via Knicks): Ousmane Dieng, F, New Zealand Breakers
12. Thunder (via Clippers): Jalen Williams, G, Santa Clara
13. Pistons (via Hornets): Jalen Duren, C, Memphis
14. Riders: Ochai Agbaji, F, Kansas
15. Hornets (via Pelicans): Mark Williams, C, Duke
16. Falcons: AJ Griffin, F, Duke
17. Rockets (via Nets): Tari Eason, F, LSU
18. Bulls: Dalen Terry, G, Arizona
19. Grizzlies (via Timberwolves): Jake LaRavia, F, Wake Forest
20. Spurs (via Raptors): Malaki Branham, G/F, Ohio State
21. Nuggets: Christian Braun, G, Kansas
22. Timberwolves (via Grizzlies): Walker Kessler, C, Auburn
23. Grizzlies (via Sixers): David Roddy, F, Colorado State
24. Bucks: MarJon Beauchamp, G, G League Ignite
25. Spurs (via Celtics): Blake Wesley, G, Notre Dame
26. Timberwolves (via Mavericks: Wendell Moore, F, Duke
27. Heat: Nikola Jovic, F, Mega Mozart
28. Warriors: Patrick Baldwin Jr., F, Milwaukee
29. Rockets (via Timberwolves): TyTy Washington, G, Kentucky
30. Nuggets (via Thunder): Peyton Watson, F, UCLA
31. Pacers (via Rockets): Andrew Nembhard, G, Gonzaga
32. Magic: Caleb Houston, F, Michigan
33. Raptors (via Pistons): Christian Koloko, F/C, Arizona
34. Thunder: Jaylin Williams, C, Arkansas
35. Lakers (via Magic): Max Christie, G, Michigan State
36. Pistons (via Trail Blazers): Gabriele Procida, G, Fortitudo Bologna
37. Mavericks (via Kings): Jaden Hardy, G, G League Ignite
38. Grizzlies (via Lakers via Spurs): Kennedy Chandler, G, Tennessee
39. Riders (via Spurs): Khalifa Diop, C, Gran Canaria
40. Hornets (via Timberwolves): Bryce McGowens, G, Nebraska
41. Pelicans: EJ Liddell, F, Ohio State
42. Knicks: Trevor Keels, F, Duke
43. Mowers: Moussa Diabate, F, Michigan
44. Warriors (via Hawks): Ryan Rollins, G, Toledo
45. Timberwolves (via Hornets): Josh Minott, F, Memphis
46. Nuggets (via Trail Blazers): Ismael Kamagate, C, Paris
47. Grizzlies (via Cavaliers): Vince Williams, F, VCU
48. Pacers (via Timberwolves): Kendall Brown, F, Baylor
49. Cavaliers (via Kings): Isaiah Mobley, F, USC
50. Timberwolves (via Nuggets): Matteo Spagnolo, G, Cremona
51. Hawks (via Warriors): Tyrese Martin, F, UConn
52. Pelicans (via Jazz): Karlo Matkovic, F, Mega Mozzart
53. Celtics: JD Davison, G, Alabama
54. Wizards (via Mavericks): Yannick Nzosa, C, Unicaja Malaga
55. Warriors: Gui Santos, F, Minas (Brazil)
56. Cavaliers (via Heat): Luke Travers, G/F, Perth Wildcats
57. Trail Blazers (via Grizzlies): Jabari Walker, F, Colorado
58. Bucks (via Pacers): Hugo Besson, G, New Zealand Breakers
Did you like your team’s picks?
Read our latest news and always stay up to date with what’s happening in the NBA and the world of basketball.
“Pop culture fan. Coffee expert. Bacon nerd. Infuriatingly humble communicator. Friendly gamer.”