Brazil recorded 173 deaths from dengue fever in 2023, or about 2 deaths per day, according to the latest epidemiological bulletin published by the Ministry of Health.
Data updated on Wednesday (5) indicates that 4,231 municipalities have reported dengue cases (75%), which means that only 1,339 Brazilian municipalities have not registered patients infected with the virus. Aedes aegypti.
The epidemiological bulletin also specifies:
- In addition to the 173 dengue deaths already confirmed in the year, 234 others are under investigation, according to the bulletin of the 13th epidemiological week of 2023;
- The number corresponds to a 41% increase compared to the number of cases in the same period last year.
- In March, there was a peak, when probable cases rose from 327,938 on the 17th to 373,380 on the 20th. This represents an increase of 45,442 cases in just three days.
- There are currently 584,113 probable cases of the disease under investigation.
Historic record in 2022
the year of 2022 was the deadliest for dengue fever in Brazilwith a cumulative total of 1,016 deaths. That’s more than the last six years.
The peak of cases occurred during epidemiological week 17, in early May. Compared to 2021, increases in arboviruses were 162.5% in dengue cases, 78.9% in chikungunya cases and 42.0% in zika cases.
Below, see in descending order which were the regions and municipalities with the most cases of the disease in the country in 2022.
- Sao Paulo was the state of the region South East with the highest dengue fever record
The Southeast region recorded 33.1% of dengue cases recorded in all of Brazil. Of this total, only the State of São Paulo was recorded, 355.4 thousandi.e. 73.9% of dengue fever cases in total.
- Goias was the state of the region Midwest with the highest dengue fever record
The state registered 214.7 thousand cases The number of dengue diagnoses is the highest in the region, which registered 348,600 cases last year, with an incidence of 2,086 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.
- bahia was the state of Northeast region with the highest dengue fever record
In 2022, Bahia registered 36.2 thousand cases probably dengue fever. Compared to 2021, dengue with a growth of 162.5% of records.
- Parana was the state of South region with the highest dengue fever record
The municipality of Joinville was among the Brazilian cities with the highest dengue fever records in the country. Only have been identified 21.3 thousand casesaccording to the Health and Environmental Surveillance Secretariat of the Ministry of Health.
- Tocantins was the state of North Region with the highest dengue fever record
More than registered 21 thousand cases in the state, which equates to an index of 1,300 per 100,000 population. That’s double the national average of 631.3 per 100,000 people and triple the Northern average of 405.1.
Dengue fever: see symptoms, care, treatment and how to avoid the disease
“Typical thinker. Unapologetic alcoholaholic. Internet fanatic. Pop culture advocate. Tv junkie.”